I recently had the opportunity to try out a product called SafetyCaps. They say that "necessity is the mother of invention". In this case, it was Daddy who invented. One day, George Decell,'s daughter, Sage, choked on a plug protector he had removed to plug in the vacuum cleaner. Shaken, George decided to fight back. He didn't want anyone else to face the fearful situation he had endured.
When he couldn't find another solution, he set out to create a new, safer product. He invented the SafetyCap. The SafetyCap is almost an inch wider than traditional plugs. They also feature vent holes, similar to a pacifier, to prevent choking. (I never realized that was why pacifiers had holes on the side, but it does make sense!) SafetyCaps are also clear, so they blend into the wall. My kids are big enough that I don't use many outlet covers, so I took them to some experts. I showed the SafetyCaps to the teachers in the baby and one-year old rooms at the daycare in my office. The teachers were impressed with the idea. The state requires that all outlets---even the ones up on a counter that the kids can't reach--have a safety plug when not in use. But, they worry about the choking dangers of the usual ones.
George has offered my readers a great giveaway. One reader will win a 24 pack of SafetyCaps. And, if the winner has placed an order between now and the end of the contest, George will send 96 SafetyCaps instead of 24!
Leave a comment telling me about a favorite safety product, a product you wish someone would invent, or something else related to child safety. Make sure your profile is visible, or include your e-mail address in your comment.
For extra entries (leave a separate comment):
*Visit SafetyCaps and share something you learned.
* Follow me on Twitter (leave your Twitter name)
* Subscribe to my blog
* Follow my blog
* Share this on Twitter (leave a link)
* Post my button on your site
Contest ends February 28th.